Halloween’s right around the corner and with all hustle and bustle of costume shopping – who really wants to deal with all the messy aisles, jampacked Walmarts, and never-ending lines? Skip the Halloween hoo-ha and have some fun with your kids by making costumes at home! One of the easiest costumes to make is a superhero. All you really need is some bright neon stockings, underwear to wear on top, and a superhero logo t-shirt. Oh yea, and don’t forget the cape!
The craft supplies for this DIY are: an XL men’s t-shirt, ribbon (or Velcro!), scissors, and a hot glue gun. Yep, that’s right. It’s no sew!
- First things first – off with the sleeves! But don’t be sloppy. Lay it on a flat surface and cut it evenly from pit to shoulder.
- Next, cut both sides from the bottom hem to the already cut pit. If the shirt has a side seam, simply turn it inside out and cut along the sides to ‘split’ the shirt.
- Open up the shirt and fold the shirt lengthwise.
Now, start at the bottom of the hem, begin to cut towards the neck. Make sure to cut at an angle. Be sure to keep neckband the same width as the ribbon or Velcro. Cut all around the neck so that only the ribbing remains. You can save the scrap from the other side of the shirt for another DIY or for rags.
- Now, cut out a part of the neck so that you can attach the ribbon or Velcro using a hot glue gun. This way, you can easily adjust it around your child’s neck!
5. You’re basically done at this point. You can embellish the back of the cape with a personalized superhero logo or whatever you like! Let your child get creative with his or her decorations!