In 2013, the Illinois Poison Center (IPC) received almost 45,000 calls involving children and adolescents 18 years old and younger and recently they reached out to us to share some free resources for parents and I was more than happy to spread the word because a lot of these are things parents may not know or even think about.
Illinois Poison Center Free Resources for Parents
An online resource library: the only online resource of its kind focused on the most common substances involved in a pediatric poisoning exposure.
Provides basic information about poison prevention and insight into how U.S. Poison Centers can help parents and caregivers. Available to anyone living/working in Illinois, aged 18 years and older. After completing the course, persons can order/download information and materials to distribute to patients, family, friends and community (stickers, magnets, fact sheets, prevention activity sheets, posters, etc.)
Illinois Poison Control Blogs
Here are a few of their most popular questions that were answered through their blog, these blog posts are all written by Illinois Poison Control Experts.
- A Spoonful of Trouble (Part 2)
- The Top Five Most Toxic Substances in Your House
- Babysitters& Nannies: Things to know before the parents go
- Top 5 Things You Didn’t Think Could be Poisonous to Children
- My Child Ate…Something Around the House!
- My Child Ate…Christmas!
- Fatal Attraction: Hazards of Swallowing High-Powered Magnets
- Old Man Winter and Carbon Dioxide
- I Didn’t Know That Poop Could Be So Harmful!
- Don’t Make Me Puke!!
- The Case of the Double Dose
- The Case of the Tube Switcheroo
- What’s Lurking in Your Child’s Daycare Center?
- Laundry Pod Poisoning in Children
- Are you going to pump my child’s stomach?
- “So, What’s The Most Dangerous Poison Around The House?”
- Halloween Health Safety Tips: How To Have A Safe and Spooky Good Time
- Don’t Eat the Toothpaste!
- Take Home Lessons: Kids and Cleaning Product Spray Bottles