When it comes to diapering your baby, you have two options: Cloth diapers and disposable diapers. Cloth diapers are some of the most effective diapering solutions for newborns, that can potentially save you a significant amount of money during the early years of your baby.
For new mothers, cloth diapering can be quite baffling. But even if you know ins and outs of cloth diapering, how do you the find the perfect cloth diaper for your newborn? Which cloth diaper is the best for newborns? We have done the work for you. The following article is a guide to help you find the best cloth diapers for your newborn.
What are Cloth Diapers?
Image Source: Flickr
In essence, cloth diapers are reusable pieces of fabric that are designed to wrap around your toddler’s crotch and hold urine and poop in place. When it’s soiled, you simply need to wash the cloth diaper, dry it and use it again as needed.
How Many Do You Need?
Well, your baby is going to poop and urinate a lot. The number of cloth diapers you need will, therefore, depend on your washing schedule. It’s recommended that you have about 24 cloth diapers per baby. This amount works out 2-days before having to wash the diapers, considering an average baby poops 6 to 10 times a day. You can set up this number to 36 if you have money to spare. It will give you a long enough break before you have to worry about washing them again.
Benefits of Cloth Diapers
- Effectiveness: The modern design of cloth diapers is just as comfortable and effective as the disposable varieties. The days of the sweaty, plastic pants and the scratchy and uncomfortable diapers are now long gone.
- Economical: While their upfront initial cost is quite high, the cost will certainly spread out over a continued use. Even when you take into account the added costs of washing, the cost of cloth diapers will trump most except the cheapest of the disposable diapers. The cheap disposable ones are often of very poor quality and lead to more problems than they solve. Also, if you plan on having more than one baby, then you can save the cloth diapers for later use.
- Reusable: One of the major advantages of cloth diapers is that they can be used over and over before you need to discard them because of wear and tear. Keep in mind that disposable diapers are only used once, and since they aren’t biodegradable, they usually end up in a landfill.
- Healthier: Most disposable diapers contain nasty chemicals. The absorbent part of a disposable diaper contains Sodium Polyacrylate, which is also present in the “eco-friendly” variants. The substance has actually been banned from use in tampons since it’s linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome. Would really you be willing to put this substance near your baby’s crotch?
Disadvantages of Cloth Diapers
- Diaper Shortage: For those that have a few diapers or don’t have a washing routine in place, it’s quite easy to run out diapers. This can be an absolute disaster, so it’s important to have an ample amount of cloth diapers and create a washing schedule.
- More Work: Overall, cloth diapers will require a bit more maintenance compared to disposables. However, if you are choosing cloth diapers for their benefits, then this shouldn’t be a deal-breaker at all.
- Poop Poke: If you are going to use cloth diapers, you’re going to touch poop whether you like it or not. But guess what, babies make a mess, and as a parent, you will become immune to this very quickly. Just give yourself time.
Best Cloth Diapers
Now that we have seen the benefits and disadvantages of cloth diapers, it’s time we looked at the best cloth diapers available. You may be surprised that Gerber cloth diapers are not featured on this list. Why? Well, my experience (along with other mothers) with them has not been great. There are certainly better, more absorbent, and softer products in the market.
BumGenius One-Size Pocket Diaper
BumGenius is a name that’s likely to pop up time and again when you talk to parents about pocket diapers. With this one-size solution, this pocket cloth diaper is designed to grow with your newborn. There are three straps on the front, which allow you to adjust it to fit the baby.
Also included are two different inserts; one lightweight for the newborn stage, and a larger one for use when the baby is grown. Its butterfly closure system provides your baby a hugging fit and excellent comfort.
BumGenius All-in-One Cloth Diaper
All-in-one cloth diapers are a great treat, as the don’t require extra steps, covers, or stuffing. This incredible offering from bumGenius fits newborns comfortably, and it is designed to grow with the baby. There’s a soft suede-like fabric inside the diaper, making it super soft, and excellent at wicking moisture away from your newborn’s skin.
It also has a super elastic stretchy back, so that it sits softly on your baby’s skin, without cutting off circulation. Don’t worry, the runny stuff will remain on the inside, while your baby’s legs will remain free of any red marks often caused by elastics that are too tight.
OsoCozy Unbleached Indian Cotton Pre-fold Diapers
These are the best pre-fold diapers you can find on the market today. They are of great quality and come in a wide range of sizes. As such, you can easily find the right size for your newborn. They even have size preemie for premature babies.
We found the Indian cotton super absorbent, and that it feels soft against the bottom of your baby. For the price, we think these are the softest pre-fold diapers we have experienced. So, if you want a cloth diaper for a newborn, this is perhaps your best bet.